Corporate innovation for positive social change
Cathay Pacific engaged SVhk to rejuvenate its community engagement strategy and curate new programme initiatives in 2018. This partnership helped shape refreshed cross-sector collaborations among NGOs, social enterprises, and business partners to create shared value in the areas of youth development, diversity and inclusion, environmental protection, and global cultural exchange.
SVhk was engaged by Cathay Pacific as a consultant to advise on the overall programme strategy development, support execution, and conduct impact reviews.
HIGHLIGHTS / PARTNERSHIPS
– Innovating programmes to support high-touch community engagement
- Cathay ChangeMakers (New): seeks to recognize and raise public awareness of the contributions of Hong Kong people who have brought about positive changes in the society
- World As One (New): includes a 5-day trip that brought together a diverse group of local youths in a thought-provoking trip where they undertook inspiring volunteer work as part of their travels.
- I Can Fly (Refreshed): recruits students who show a passion for aviation and a commitment to community service, and now includes a team building element and people-focused “design thinking” as a social innovation tool to encourage students to design and implement their own social service programme for the community.
– Moving beyond Corporate Social Responsibility and towards Creating Shared Value
New engagement programmes such as ‘World As One’ illustrated new ways of working when it comes to addressing social challenges by leveraging business strengths. Positive reception to the programme paved the way for a new “Travel for Good” platform with voluntourism packages subsequently made available under Cathay Pacific Holidays
– Creating synergies through collective action
Cross-collaborations between Cathay ChangeMakers, community organisations and local partners enriched the content of other community programmes such as “I Can Fly”, and built bridges to embed social impact into the airline’s business operations
– Re-energising staff engagement in community engagement
Over 50 Cathay Pacific staff members were engaged in “World As One” (2018) and “I Can Fly” (2018-2019) programmes.